Love of Words, Love of Writers & Illustrators

3.06.2008

I really love some words. Words that fit a situation so perfectly that no other will do. Today's word is not one I've ever used before and I'm not sure I ever will, but I like it.

Today's Merriam-Webster's word of the day:

Pleiad: a group of usually seven illustrious or brilliant persons or things

In honor of this word I'm going to link to a pleiad of children's writers and illustrators that I love and know personally.

  1. Cynthia Lord - author of Newbery Honor book Rules
  2. Tamra Wight - author of The Three Grumpies
  3. Jennifer Ward - author of many, many books
  4. Val Giogas - author of In My Backyard
  5. Mona Pease - author of articles in Babybug, Ladybug & Appleseeds Magazines
  6. Denise Ortakaes - author AND illustrator of a bunch of books
  7. Donna Farrell - Illustrator of Here's to Our Childfirst Day
The only problem is I have one more children's author I love. But that makes eight. And pleiad means a group of seven. What's a girl to do? Okay, pleiad plus one:
  1. Candice Ransom - author of about a billion books. Instead of linking to some of them, I will link to her amazon page.

0 comments: